Mommy Manders and “Wee Volunteer” invite you to join us for
“Good Deeds Week” 2012, Aug. 19th-25th.
for Dallas area families and BEYOND!
a great way to “give back” with your kids in the community, build family values and connections, before getting back to school. My “Good Deeds Camp” kids will be doing lots of the behind-the-scenes work for the events, and participating together, as well. But you don’t have to come to camp to join the fun! Some of the events are suggestions for you to do with your own family on your own time, in your own town…some are communal events. Do what you can, and stay tuned to my blog for all the updates, developmental tips, related book/ song/ activity ideas, pics, and more…
This is my family’s 3rd annual “Good Deeds Week” and the 2nd one we’ve shared with others and “Wee Volunteer” of Dallas. It’s growing every year!”
- Sunday, Aug. 19th: “Make a Meal, Share a Meal” – Work together to make a meal for yourselves and another family (double the recipe). Together, agree on a family who could use cheering up, has been sick, has a new baby, etc. and deliver the meal together. You might even invite them over to eat with you, and send them home with leftovers. How cool would it be if lots of us were doing this on the same day? If it doesn’t happen on Sunday, do it sometime this week. My campers will be putting together “friendship pizza pasta” on Monday to share with a neighbor. They will also be making my “Mommy Manders” World’s Greatest Cookies to put in little baggies with thank-you notes to give out to the “service” people in their lives this week – babysitters, housekeepers, mail people, plumbers, grocery helpers, garbage collectors, etc. A simple well-deserved token of appreciation!
- Monday, Aug. 20th: “Feed Your Neighbor” Day 1 with “Meals on BIG Wheels” – You MUST RSVP for this event with Michelle@weevolunteer. If you’ve done it before, you know what a great experience it is, but you might wait and let some new folks sign up…”Wee Volunteer” offers this experience several times throughout the year, usually on school holidays. (Cost is $10/ person for bus.) If you don’t live in Dallas, head down to your local “Meals on Wheels” and just find out what they do and how you can help.
- Tuesday, Aug. 21st: “Feed Your Neighbor” Day 2 by participating in or starting your own canned food drive. If you live in Dallas, join us for our drive supporting “Brother Bill’s Helping Hand” in West Dallas,http://www.bbhh.org/, download flier to print and pass out to friends and neighbors with paper grocery sacks (will be delivered to them on Saturday, Aug. 25th) Let them know what day to leave the cans out on their porch, and your child can come by with a red wagon to collect them. can drive flier. You can deliver your cans to my home anytime this week OR you can deliver your cans to any NTFB location.
- Wednesday, Aug. 22nd: “Respect Our Elders Day” – Help out an elderly neighbor with a chore, errand, or project (or just cheering them up with a visit and a crayon picture.) If you live in Dallas, join us for a musical outreach project in a local retirement community…Sign up…Presbyterian Village North – “Arbor Place”, 4:00
- Also Wednesday, there is a chance for you to enjoy “Backpacks and Pizza!” to help more of our neighbors in Dallas:
Community Partners of Dallas, Wed, August 22, 10:30am – 12:00pm
1215 Skiles Street; Dallas, Texas 75204 (map)
DescriptionCommunity Partners of Dallas serves over 16,000 children in the Dallas area! They need our help to pack 2,000 backpacks with school supplies for underprivileged children. We will learn about the programs offered by Community Partners, take a tour, help with backpacks and school supplies and celebrate our work with pizza! Appropriate for children 3 and up. Space is limited to 15 children per project. RSVP to email@example.com. This project is free of charge. A $15 donation per family to Wee Volunteer is encouraged to cover the cost of the project including a donation to Community Partners of Dallas!
- Thursday, Aug. 23d - Alex’s Lemonade Stand to raise money for childhood cancer research. If you live out of town or can’t stop by, you can still donate online to help us reach our goal in memory of Chloe, our fundraising page. You can also make cards to deliver to kids in hospitals. Give thanks for your family’s healthy. If you live in Dallas, come out and support our stand: Thurs am in Lake Highlands at HCC, 11:00-1:00 OR 4:30-6:30 at North Haven Gardens. Bring a sign, bring money to donate towards pizza (for us to eat) and supplies. Sign Up for Alex’s Lemonade Stand Anyone else want to set one up to host a neighborhood stand? Let me know, and we’ll add that location…
- Friday, Aug. 24th – “Books and Backpacks” – 10:30 Musical Story-time with Miss Lowry (for the whole family!), Highlands Christian Church, 9949 McCree Road in Lake Highlands, website and map - bring some old/ new books to donate to the Boys and Girls Club of Dallas, along with school supplies and or backpacks for needy kids.
- Saturday, Aug. 25th- “Brother Bill’s Helping Hands” Carnival and Volunteer Event. You MUST RSVP for one of the shifts, 9:30-11:30 passing out backpacks to families or 11:30-1:30 passing out lunches. (You will also get to deliver your cans to the store.)
- Sunday, Aug. 26th – Give Back to your Family Day – spend time together, rest together, do something nice for each other – write a note of appreciation, consider your loved ones “love language” and “give” to them based on this. Does your son feel love through physical touch? Does your daughter feel love through a special gift? Does your husband feel love through the gift of quality time? Spend time reflecting on your week of giving and growing together! Talk about how you can incorporate giving as a family in your every day/ every week routine?
- Want to know more about Good Deeds Week? Take a look back…