Check out the GREAT opportunities for your family to “Give Back Together” in the Dallas Community on Saturday, Nov. 17th. Recruit some friends, mark your calendars, and “Live and Label Your Values” for your kids. “In our family, we volunteer!” (Not in Dallas? Let these ideas inspire you to plan your own outing in your community on that day. Let us know how it goes!)
All around the city, families will be giving back together at different projects for 60 Minutes of Giving!
GIVING BACK TOGETHER – The Top 10 reasons to volunteer with your kids:
10. Volunteering builds self-esteem. The best way to feel good about yourself is to help someone else.
9. Volunteering builds leadership skills. (Who will be in charge of making the lemonade? Who will collect the money?)
8. Volunteering teaches valuable skills and responsibility. (interacting politely with the “customer”, making change, creating a poster, sorting old clothes, etc.)
7. Volunteering teaches gratitude and perspective, helping to raise selfless children in a materialistic world. (Talk about the families that don’t have enough money to buy food or school supplies, and give back together.)
6. Volunteering gives kids a chance to practice kindness and generosity, values we want them to have. (Show them that the small things they can do really make a difference in someone’s life – watch your postman’s face light up when you give him the home-made cookies!)
5. Volunteering gives children power to act in the face of problems, to “be the change they wish to see in the world.” Gandhi (Learning about problems of poverty, sickness, and homelessness may be a new concept for kids. Give them a sense of control and empowerment by giving them the chance to respond!)
4. Volunteering broadens a child’s experience, giving them a sense of community and “neighbor” beyond their everyday life, even on a global basis.
3. Volunteering develops responsible citizens. (Tell them what good citizens they are when they are helping pick up litter, when they are conserving water and electricity.)
2. Volunteering is a great way to bond with your child, and show them how to be in the world.
1. Children are powerful – LET THEM BE.
See more pics and info at “Wee Volunteer” on Facebook, and please help to spread the word!